Tuesday, October 5, 2010

No agreement about the floors

After talking to the CSO this morning he called back and said that because the floors aren't included in the contract that I have to go through Lockwood's privately. I said OK but does this mean they can still be laid before the keys are handed over? and he said yes as they have done this before.

Off I went and made arrangements with Lockwoods for the floors and then called Allworth HO to speak to the Construction Manager. He is on leave so I left a message for the person acting-up to call Lockwoods and organise for the floors to be installed.

Long story short - NO. CSO denies he said anything like that. Acting CM said it's not in the contract and they won't agree to it because there will be no insurance covering it if any damage or vandalism occurs to the floor coverings and if the flooring guy causes any damage there will be an argument over the claim. It strikes me as very bizarre that there is a provision in the special conditions of the contract for works by the owner with the written authority of the builder when in fact it appears they will never give you permission to do anything.
I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier but I asked about fencing and retaining the rear of the block because the neighbour has a child but I was told by the CM that Allworth wouldn't give approval for that either. This however appears not to be the industry standard as other bloggers, such as one who has built with Eden Brae, have been allowed to install underfloor heating into the concrete after the formwork and pods and everything where positioned but before the concrete was poured, and another was allowed to do ducting for an air-conditioner and the cabling for a smart home being that blue cable you see in some people's pics.

Acting CM was also very belligerent in the conversation because he refused to accept that the reason it is not in the contract is because of their error. Apparently because the facade is outside the usual range this meant the package was not available and the contract reflects that I made the decision to just have the alfresco added. Not bloody likely as it is making it more expensive to have a large entertainment area added whereas a regular rectangle would have been much easier to install an awning into. Right now I wish I could say take the alfresco away and credit me back the difference.

Also been told I should be grateful that I received a $2,000 credit in the first place - despite the fact I received this because of the delay they caused by originally submitting plans that did not comply with Council regulations. What I'll be grateful for is when this nightmare is over. If ever I thought I would have a phrase tattooed on my body I know right now what I would elect to have it say is:
This too shall pass...
The most frustrating aspect of all of this is that no one person takes responsibility for the whole of the process. What happened with the old plans isn't seen to relate to what is happening now. What happens as part of the consultation, contract or construction isn't seen to relate to any other stage. They all say "that has nothing to do with me" or "I can't comment as that's another departments responsibility". But for me it is all part and parcel of the frustration that I am experiencing and to try and compartmentalize it is like a man saying getting a woman pregnant means he has nothing to do with the pain of labour that in fact is the infants responsibility. So I asked Acting CM who can I speak to and he said the CFO or someone equivalent. Now I am waiting to talk to that person.

Therefore, my words of wisdom are:
  • to go through your contract with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything you are expecting to receive is listed somewhere,
  • the number somewhere near the front should be the base price you are expecting to pay,
  • if you need anything done to the block, like retaining walls, fencing, a swimming pool, or you would like to do your own works, such as cabling for a smart home, ask about this before you put your deposit down or do it before the builder commences work if you can, and,
  • to confirm a conversation by sending an email immediately after before relying on anyone's representations.

The Acting CM also tried to suggest that what I am asking for is irrelevant as what is the difference whether it happens before or after handover as all it will do is delay handover by a week? Considering all that is left is painting, taps and handles and clean-up, I fail to understand how the three days for flooring could not be accommodated and would push the completion out another week. I also said to him it doesn't matter whether it makes sense to him or not as it makes sense to me.

Appears however painting starts tomorrow and clean-up should be Friday 15th October with anything else happening between now and then. This means the PCI should happen early the following week with any defects resolved by that Friday and the keys handed over the week of October 25th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my greenhill slideshow

It's the Brown roof in the middle